Friday 8 May 2015

May 8th 2014: The decision day - ONE YEAR ON!

Hellooooo!

So, today is the 8th of May 2015. And to me, this day is a very important day. Why, you may ask? Well, one year ago on this day, I made a very important decision that would determine a change in lifestyle; how I look, how I feel and how I act would all fall down to making this decision.

The decision? To get into fitness.





It all started early in the morning on this day a year ago. I was staying over at my lovely auntie and uncles pub, with my gorgeous cousin Antonia. As she was still studying A-Levels, she had to leave early in the morning to go to school, dropping me home on the way (as I can't drive). At this point last year, I was also in the middle of redecorating my bedroom, so my room literally looked like a tornado had hit.

So, there I was, sat on my living room sofa at 8am, wondering what I should do for the rest of my day. I didn't have any specific plans, as I had already bought everything I needed for my new room, and I didn't have a job I needed to get to. And I couldn't go back to bed, as I had yet to build my new bed. What was I to do?

Then...it hit me.

*FLASHBACK TIME*

Now, once upon a time, I used to be a UK size 8/10. I was 16 years old, doing 6 dance classes a week, including a body conditioning class, plus rehearsals for an intense production of Jesus Christ Superstar, as well as studying for my GCSE'S...I had a lot on my plate. And no, I don't mean that literally. My schedule was so insane, it got to the point where eating became almost a "treat", and eating dinner would be a late night ready meal. I also became very ill with gastritis, meaning I was also feeling weak and in pain. And even though I looked super confident in everything I wore, I felt like I was withering away into painful nothingness.

Myself (on the right) during Jesus Christ Superstar at age 16...at my thinnest.

As time passed, my GCSE's had finished, dancing was finished for the summer holidays and I recovered from my gastritis; my eating habits finally got back to normal. Almost too normal. (I ate Nutella everyday...naughty Georgia...) and my clothes size went from an 8 to a 14 in one summer.

Starting at a new school to study A-Level's meant an entirely new schedule all together. I quit ballet, modern and national classes (as the majority of the people in my classes were going to University and I was the only one left) and my body conditioning class was cancelled as, again, I was the only one attending. Plus, rehearsals for the next show after Jesus Christ Superstar were a lot less intense...as we were doing the show Brigadoon: my weight pretty much stayed the same for the next two years.

Performing at Disneyland at age 18...size 14.

Over time, I became lazy, lethargic and would eat like a 12 year old. And once A-Levels had finished, I became far more lazy and lethargic than I did during A-Levels. Quitting all dance classes, and not doing shows anymore as I was travelling abroad. It got to the point where I felt so uncomfortable with my body, with how I looked, how timidly I would present myself to people, with the fear of them thinking I was "fat". I clearly had a problem, but I just kept brushing it aside.

Until, the 8th of May 2014.

It hit me that I was done with feeling lazy. I had this entire day to myself, with nothing planned: the possibilities were endless! Motivation had literally kicked me up the backside to get up, get out and do something about it. On this day, I promised myself that now that I had the money, I would start going to the gym. When I was younger, I always said to myself that I wanted to be one of those adults who had a gym membership, as I always thought they were so cool. And when I wouldn't go to the gym, I would look on YouTube, the app store, or just do my own "at home" workout. I downloaded the Davina McCall fitness app and started doing her 20 minute workouts everyday. It wasn't much, but I needed to do my research and figure out exactly what I wanted to do.

I spoke to a friend of mine who attended a college gym that was only £25 a month for a membership, and even though it was small, hardly anyone used it and it had everything you needed. She convinced me to give her gym a try, and I absolutely loved it! And it really helped having a supportive friend to help you along the way. If you're thinking of joining a gym but are a bit anxious about it, ask a friend to join you for the ride!

Unfortunately, the college gym closed at the beginning of August. However, it was a blessing in disguise, as to get to this gym, I needed to get both a bus and a train to get there. So, even though I couldn't workout with my friend anymore, it meant I could find a new gym close by. Now, I go to LA Fitness, and it is insanely good. (Although quite expensive...)

A year later, and what are my thoughts? Well, I did slip up a couple of times. For example, I had a 6 week summer job that was crazy busy, so I went 6 weeks without going to the gym. But, other than that, I stuck to my plan of working out 2/3 times a week, and even went to the hotel gyms when travelling abroad. I've also begun to watch what I eat, and things that I used to eat everyday back when I was 18 are now an occasional treat. And how do I feel? Well, I feel 1 stone lighter, brighter, happier and healthier. I also feel proud of myself for sticking with something this big. And as much as I have achieved in the last year, this is only the beginning.

I'm only just getting started; changing your lifestyle is a big deal, and I feel like this past year has been a whirlwind. I'm now back to a healthy UK Size 10, and even had the satisfaction of buying a dress in a size 8, as it was the only one that fit just right.

(I'm just wishing that I had taken a before/after shot. But for now, this is all I can do!)

On the right, as Cinderella this past month...at a happy, healthy size 10.


So, whats the plan for next year? To carry on. Keep doing what I'm doing. If I can achieve something this big in just a year, why stop now? And don't worry, I'll keep you guys up to date.

Thanks for reading guys, and if you have any questions, comment them down below!

Until next time!

Fawce xoxo.


No comments:

Post a Comment